I would so love to be writing to let you know of the huge progress we have made this week but, sadly, it’s just not going not happen. That’s not to say we haven’t made progress, but this project is turning out not to be photogenic, is taking far longer than we anticipated, and is unlikely to have you marvelling at our technical skills or speed of execution. Yes – we are still trying to sort out the flat roof over part of the bar, which also serves as a balcony for one room on the first floor. By end of play yesterday we had all joists in place; we had the slope packed so that the roof not only drains away from the house, but the roof over the snug drains centrally and then water will run onto the balcony. [If this isn’t making sense, just remind us to show you when you next visit us as I haven’t taken the class in how to post diagrams yet!] We have put all but 3 pieces of the sterling board flooring in place and will then be ready to fit the trim. Currently we have an array of tarpaulins trying to keep the area dry, with mixed success, so are looking for at least two dry days after fitting the trim before we can complete this task – one for everything to dry out, and the second to lay the fibreglass mat and topcoat and then have a celebratory dance.
So instead, I will tell you about other things.
As you may know our dog, Jasper, is getting on a bit and needs tablets for his arthritis. Our new vet wanted to check his health before prescribing more tablets, so Mike had to collect a urine sample: we really should have sold tickets to this spectacle. Armed with his pot-on-a-stick, Mike tried to surprise the very reluctant dog into obliging, but instead he managed to remain continent for an impressive distance on his morning walk. Eventually, after several false starts, about a tablespoon full was collected. While the tablespoon full was being decanted, Jasper spotted his opportunity and watered everything in reach! I don’t think Mike cares: he is too busy being triumphant that Jasper has lost a further 0.7 kilos on his strict (but surprisingly indulgent) diet. Mind you, he did also meet a couple of working dogs whose obedience to their owners impressed him (but not overly, you understand – that might imply his dog was somehow faulty).
On Thursday, I attended a marketing masterclass in Carmarthen. For those with limited geographical knowledge of Wales (like me) this required a journey due South, whilst most main roads seem to run East/West. I spent 3 hours enjoying a winding journey through the delights of West Wales; a few hours learning about changing demographics and how these and social media advertising will affect hospitality businesses, and then 3.5 hours travelling back on a slightly more Easterly but nonetheless winding route which was also very beautiful. The weather was kind – I drove through wind, rain, hail and snow but managed at all times to remember my lot was better than Mike’s since he was working on the roof.
In the interests of having a story linked to a reasonable photo, we send our congratulations to Philly who has submitted her dissertation several hours ahead of the deadline but was rash enough to send us the evidence. Other offspring, please feel free to send us your photos and I will incorporate these if possible.
Following on from Mike’s bee keeping course, and following a slight initial scare about bees making unpleasant honey from rhododendrons (to reassure you, apparently the bees will consume any such honey since rhodos flower in May, but we won’t collect honey till August), Mike has now placed his order for 2 nucs (a nucleus hive which is a queen and some worker bees that need to be placed in the wooden hive). All I need to do is hope that he actually arranges for the physical hives to arrive before the bees do.
To find out the next instalment in this thrilling saga, tune in next week, same time, same channel….