After the very busy Easter weekend, we have been taking things a little more gently than normal, planning to return to full speed tomorrow.
You may recall that we experienced very heavy rain one day last month, resulting in the river Conwy flooding. Since then until yesterday, we had had almost no rain, so the river levels were very low. Just in case any of you were worried, I can assure you that the 24 hour experience yesterday with Storm Hannah has restored the river levels! I am not surprised the cafe was extremely quiet – I wouldn’t have wanted to walk from the car to the cafe, let alone drive anywhere on local roads to get here!
Lisa and family took this shot of us with Lola last weekend. We thought you might like to see it as it shows the grounds are beginning to respond to our tlc.
Anyway, back to this week. I have been producing a work schedule which now shows we should be ready to request sign off from the various official bodies for the fire stairs by around end July this year. Later than we had hoped, obviously, but at least it should still be (only just) in time for the Eisteddfod in August. To celebrate, Paul and Shaun took me shopping in Bangor for more bits and bobs for the rooms, and I just couldn’t resist these bath toys…
Mike has been working on the plumbing for the floor 1 bathrooms – which doesn’t make for interesting photos. Instead, above you can see the recess in the fire doors (of which we have a considerable number) into which the intumescent strips should be fitted. Yesterday I wrestled with these to fit them into the very close fitting recess, and managed to complete nine fire doors by fitting these strip so that the fire seal will be close, but so that the door will close under its own steam – or with the help of the door closer – depending on their location.
The other thing we have finally got around to was cutting the base off this newel post. Because the stairs are narrower between floor 0 and 1 than floors 1-2 and 2-3, this particular newel post end appeared almost randomly in the sight line of people as they descended the stairs, and gave the impression they would hit their heads on it. In fact, the height above the stairs meant this was extremely unlikely, but the building inspector commented several months ago that it might hamper the role of firemen, should they ever be required. It was one of those jobs that never seemed to get to the top of the priority list, so earlier today I decided…
…that it just had to go!
Especially as I will soon need to finish off under the stairs and landings with insulation and fireboard, which is likely to be a lot easier without projections randomly dropping below the boarding line I plan to use.
I look forward to bringing you more news soon.