Ah – slight problem here…

We were so excited to get going with the next phase that we set off at a fast pace. We have been short handed this week since the cafe has been gratifyingly busy, and thus I could only work on The Project from about 9am to 11.30am, and again from 4-5pm. No complaints from us, but just thought I should let you know that the cafe is beginning to get busy.
Last Wednesday, whilst Mike was tearing down walls from room 7, I was removing tiles from the walls of the en suite. The slight fly in the ointment became apparent towards the end of the day, when Mike found on removing the plasterboard from some internal walls that they were plywood faced, which wasn’t what he was expecting.

Notice as the plaster board was removed, the plywood liner was revealed, indicating a structural wall
Notice as the plaster board was removed, the plywood liner was revealed, indicating a structural wall

There then followed phone calls with the architectural designer during which they both sucked through their teeth and threw around apparently random comments regarding the seriousness of the problem and possible solutions. Mike had to lever up floorboards and remove skirting boards until it was clear where these plywood walls ran and, more importantly, where the joists ran and were joined together, where appropriate. My understanding is that a long conflab is likely to follow tomorrow when we find out whether this means the plans need to be slightly amended, or whether it means returning fully to the drawing board.

joists are joined over these structural walls
See how the joists are cut either side of this wall we now know to be structural (the wall below this shot is also ply-clad)

01apr04

In his downtime, Mike has put together our table tennis table, drained the heating system on floors 1-3 of the extension, and driven to the coast to buy up as many 1 litre rhododendron plants as he could find! More news with our next blog, and let’s hope that one might be a bit more positive.