Back to work, at last!

My apologies for the gap in correspondence. The last of our summer guests left on Monday last week, and we decided to have a couple of days off to recover from the excitement. On Wednesday, we heard that Conwy would lock down again last Thursday, so decided we would have the rest of the week off in between cancelling our ‘lost’ bookings. We really had a great time whilst we were open, and thank our many wonderful guests for making the summer so much fun, but we are both keen to get back to returning this building to its former glory.

Before I describe our work, I should show you what Niall has been doing with the garden stairs. Having put the stairs roughly in place, he fitted a couple of reinforcing rods (just about visible below between the top of the stairs and the slate blocks)…

…to ensure the stairs don’t move. You may get a better sense of what we are doing below…

..or even further down…

.

…where you can see the stairs now rest on two concrete blocks, arranged to ensure that the stair treads are now horizontal. All that remains to do (!?) is for the bottom step and the handrails to be fitted.

The metal for the rails and uprights was delivered last week, but may be moving on soon.

To return to our work, I will just remind you where we were before lockdown was eased.

The corridor to the ground floor facilities was full of building materials, the gents loos had been almost finished, and the ladies and accessible toilets were little more than a shell…

The site above is destined to become the accessible loo, and that below the ladies.

The gents were more or less ‘built’, and the cubicle side was installed, but not the door.

It took a surprisingly long time to fit the various elements in place to enable us to install the door, but – here it is!

The other thing we had realised though, when September left us and October brought much cooler weather, was just how much heat is lost through the (unheated) old kitchen, into the lean-to scullery which is very nearly the outdoors. So we…

removed the shelf which sat in the old window surround/opening, measured up, and then cut and fit some excess roofing insulation we happened to have lying around…

…and we then used some squirty adhesive around the edges to complete this temporary draft-proofing.

We are now having to adjust, because we must decide in advance whether we need to get into the kitchen – now an equipment store – or the laundry in the scullery, but comedically keep trying to walk from kitchen to scullery or vice versa and then realise we no longer can. It shouldn’t take too many more false starts to learn the new way around the building – I hope!

Next we plan to tackle the accessible toilet…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *