Between the rock and the glass places…

As we approach the Bank Holiday weekend, Mike and I are gearing up for a few more days of hard work – we hope. We have ‘Jabberwocky’ playing in the cafe tomorrow night, so also need to get ready to boogie the night away, remembering that our last music night was great fun. Meanwhile, a short recap of the last three days pretty much reads as: Mike has been remodelling the windows whilst I remodel the rock face.

Mike first. He has been replacing the glass, first in the second set of patio doors leading onto the balcony, and then in room 7 which is just above the cafe.

These 'windows' were reasonably sound....
These ‘windows’ were reasonably sound….

whilst these windows were pretty poor - indeed the entire sill has had to be cut away and replaced
whilst these windows were pretty poor – Mike removed the entire sill and has replaced it with his own version. Can you see him yet?

I have been working mostly on the landscaping. You may recall a previous shot:

Some rock exposure now achieved, but still plenty of 'stuff' to remove
Showing that rock exposure has begun

With the help of Osian, we set to on Wednesday and managed to make quite a difference. Between the two of us, we removed several dodgy saplings, and levered off quite a collection of rhodo stumps. These stumps are of seriously impressive dimension. Over the past who-knows-how-many years, the rhodos have layered and seeded such that there is a huge network of roots and stumps all growing close to the rock face, all interlinked, and requiring a lot of welly to move them.

Just trying to find the best point of purchase against which to lever this stuff off the rock
Just trying to find the best point of purchase against which to lever this stuff off the rock

but see the difference it has made.
but see the difference it is making.

This last photo is not as clear as I would have liked, but you can see a massive piece of rhodo root (upside down, on right hand side) that we have levered off, leaving a new section of rock exposed. It took three of us the best part of a couple of hours to shift this. The breeze block in shot was intended to give a sense of scale, but I am not convinced it will cause you to be sufficiently impressed when you see it – it was huge!

We were all careful to keep our toes out of the way as this one slid off.
We were all careful to keep our toes out of the way as this one slid off.

The rest of the time has been spent on regular life; burning the huge pile of roots, branches and leaves we have moved; and filling the skip which arrived yesterday and which is already full with broken glass and yet more mattresses.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *