Break, burn and build

A quick recap – on Tuesday, Plas was poised ready with match in hand to incinerate the old rhodo waste and move on to other construction matters when . . . oh no, what can have happened in Yorkshire?  Number 2 child was climbing on E2 when he took a tumble…

That’s our baby, that is…

I’m not sure why the person holding his foot is smiling, but Tom (the one with his hands over his eyes) had to be stretchered out by mountain rescue and spent several days in Harrogate hospital whilst they scanned his nasty break on many fancy devices.  Apparently it is a nasty break that will take some time to mend, and he won’t know how much it may affect his future until after an operation (possibly) in a couple of weeks.  It has definitely not been Tom’s year, where his health is concerned.  Lots of love and sympathy from North Wales.  On another hand…

Before…

the story of Plas moves on.  Above is the bonfire just before ignition…

…during…

…and here we can see it in it’s early hours.  To my intense frustration, the wind was originally firmly away from the bees, but once the fire started we had about an hour at full pitch, then 4 hours smouldering nicely followed by a couple of days before it finally expired this afternoon.  Of course, for the first hour the wind was obligingly away from the bees, but after that, the wind moved around at will in all directions, and so we will need to check the bees when the rain stops to see how they have managed to survive quite a bit of smoking.

Yvonne – the tiling expert

Let’s leave that fire to burn for a bit for a while whilst we return to the refurbishments.  Above you can see Yvonne kindly taking over the tiling mantle from Mike.  She does a mean splash back for sinks…

I mean, just look at that corner…

…and an even finer bath surround.  Meanwhile, I was insulating the stud wall to the stairwell (much as I have insulated several stud walls to the stairwell to date)…

One insulated wall looks pretty much like another

…whilst Julie was removing the tiny shreds of wallpaper before the exterior walls get their internal insulation cover.

Julie busy removing the last of the wallpaper

Below you can see Yvonne’s carefully cut insulated plasterboard has been glued in place (the doors just holding everything in place as the glue goes off) with Mike’s new electric cabling poking through.

One insulated wall (that doesn’t look like the last one!)

Alex and I meanwhile plaster boarded the stud wall to one of the bathrooms… so you can see from all this that we haven’t neglected the internal work this week.

A part plaster-boarded wall

But the big success – for me, at least – is the external work.  Below the bonfire is (almost) extinguished, and we can see how the lower area is moving on.  You can just see the raised beds on the left, and the bonfire smoke to the bottom right- which has survived a night of rain- but the area visible has now been raked clear of branches and twigs; we have removed the metal / plastic / rubber waste to the appropriate bins; we have moved most of the building rubble and hardcore to a site just behind the camera where it will soon be masquerading as part of a sort-of rock garden, leaving what almost looks like a level garden area for us to seed with grass.

and…gone!

Those who know me will know that the gardener in me is thrilled that we have reached this stage – partly because I should be able to make this lovely and keep it so in the near future (when the rain takes a break!) and partly because the views from the upper rooms will no longer be of a rubbish tip.  We were really so lucky to enjoy Wednesday’s weather which enabled us to complete this work before the winter.  As for next week, well, you will just have to wait and see!

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *