Building on an unstable foundation…

…is not a good idea, but it is turning out to be difficult to avoid at Plas. So before I get into the nitty gritty, here’s a glorious photo of someone enjoying the delights of north Wales, which is looking gloriously green…and its not even raining!

For those who are interested, I can confirm we are getting on famously with our Ukrainian family…but I think Freddie might want to reserve judgment. You can see below the result of the first night that the youngest child pottered in to our lounge to watch a bit of TV but decided the dog must be a bit cold! Shortly after this snap was taken, Freddie was unwrapped and seemed to have enjoyed the attention.

A couple of Sundays ago someone had a birthday, so those of us not in school went to Bodnant gardens to show off their beauty, and the laburnum arch was still out, so we hope you will enjoy seeing us all under this lovely spectacle.

In addition to helping our family settle in, we have been approached by a local artist looking for somewhere to paint. All of our bedrooms are now full, but as we chatted with her, we suddenly reallised that our attic might have just the sort of light she was looking for. To free up the space for her, we did need to move a considerable volume of boxes full of tools, consumables, and items being stored for our children until they are settled in their own homes. Here, you can see us about half way through the cleaning process!

On a more cheerful and definitely more relaxing note, our children bought Mike a ticket to the cricket for Fathers’ Day – three of them were able to accompany him, with one being too busy, and I couldn’t go as I had an essay deadline on the following lunchtime so was frantically trying to compose something whilst I had the house pretty much to myself!

Anyway, back to work. Since my last blog, we have made only a very little progress on the foundations, and it is our own fault! Having dug the 750cm required on the drawings, we decided to phone building control to ask when they wished to inspect our work. In conversation with them, Mike explained that the bottom of the trenches revealed quarry waste and random other materials which were not compacted. Building Control, not unreasonably, said this was not what they were hoping for and asked us to dig to a metre or more, until we find a stable substrate.

So our narrow trenches have slowly got wider as they get deeper (to stop them caving in)…

…and in some we have started to hit bedrock at the base…

…whereas for others we are now over a metre deep…

and still finding shale at the base.

Like this one -as we are digging the sides are so friable that they are dropping away…

…but we are now so deep we will be consulting Building Control tomorrow to see what we need to do next.

To end on a more positive note, I remind you below of how we left the steps outside the refurbished porch back in February…

…and how they appear now that Niall has had a go at tiling them.

Not quite finished yet, but hopefully they will be complete in time for the big event that will happen this September.

2 thoughts on “Building on an unstable foundation…

  1. Always an interesting update, nice to see pictures of people having leisure time, the laburnum was beautiful, hope your Ukrainian family soon settle in, they could not have chosen a more welcoming family. Never quite understood the draw of cricket, give me Wimbledon any day, but hope Mike enjoyed his gift, best wishes to all, Julie

    1. Here’s hoping you are enjoying Wimbledon at the moment!
      Scary photos will be on the blog soon….. love from us all, Carrie

Leave a Reply to Julie Brown Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.