…so we needed to get on with our annual cull of Rhododendron ponticum. Over the last couple of years, we have cleared much of this nuisance plant from the top level and are now having to work on the downhill slopes. Here you see Mike about 5 foot downhill, trying to suss out the lie of the land…
…and within an hour of so, both he and I were about 10 foot downhill and still descending.
Hopefully this shot gives a better idea of the steepness here… and also that, one false move, and only trees stand between you and the river thundering past.
After a long morning of lopping and sawing, and with help to move cut elements away, we had cleared about 100 square metres of ponticum and could now see the river from this part of the top path. In the afternoon Mike returned to inject weedkiller into the cut stems in the hope that they will give up the ghost over the winter.
Whilst doing this, we kept an eye out for this year’s Christmas trees. We found one suitable specimen behind the wall running towards Lledr Hall,
and the second one behind the same wall, in a spot which will be our building site next year, so it had to go!
If this all gives the impression we didn’t do any much building work this week, that is partly true. We had a full house in the suites last weekend and then an Environmental Health visit this week in the cafe, which took several hours out of the schedule. We also both had lot of paperwork to complete this week . Here’s hoping we can make more progress next week!