Feeling on top of things…

To be strictly accurately, we are feeling on top of things but also rather chilled. Whilst working on the roof today, on what was forecast to be the only dry day this end of the week, there was a sudden sharp hail shower and I am still feeling the effects. Nothing that a hot bath can’t cure…just as soon as I have finished writing this!

I should start by telling you that after we had stripped the roof and pulled out the lead last week, we noticed some of the render was pretty flakey. Having pulled some of the render away, we realised we needed to completely re-render the upstand you can see, to ensure it wouldn’t fail in a week or so and require us to crawl all over the brand new roof!

Fabric on – and ready to re-slate

Brief recap – last week we stripped the roof and re-felted it (with whatever fabric one now uses that isn’t roofing felt) so this week we knew we needed to re-slate, which means we had to work out how to fit the lead. The lead flashing we pulled off at the top was actually very thin aluminium, and the stepped pieces at the edge (really known as soakers) were code 4 lead so could be reused. We chatted, we sought opinions, we consulted the inter-highway, we watched Youtube videos, but finally it was time to actually get started.

Starting at the bottom…

Mike put in a couple of short slates, and then replaced one of the soakers. This took longer than you might think as every angle and permutation had to be checked and re-checked. Once we were clear this was looking correct…

…now we are motoring…

…we added a few more slates and a few more soakers…

…still working well…

…and then a few more…

…but this bit was a bit tricky

…until suddenly we were nearly at the top. Over the soakers we installed the flashing (the top layer of lead) and once that was in place…

…as was this bit!

…Mike had to work out how to fit the lead flashing into the slot on the top wall, which also ran behind the rainwater down pipe which we had hoped we would not have to remove from the wall. In the event, with a bit of huffing and puffing and reaching at improbable angles, we (by which I mean Mike, naturally) managed to push the lead behind the downpipe and secure the lead edge in the slot. Much sealant was then exuded into the slot to ensure it will all be water-tight before moving to the next piece. Once that was in place, we realised we needed to move the scaffolding tower so that we could strip off the next section of roof, ready for us to move onto the next piece of work (in a tidy triangle) on Friday when we hope to reach these heady heights again.

Given today’s hail and the gale force winds earlier this week, here’s hoping the weather is kinder over the next few days and we can continue to progress our roof.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *