Grey is the new black…

Tonight’s blog will be relatively brief, mostly because I am really rather weary after our travails today.

Mike and I ran the cafe on Friday (which was gratifyingly busy) and Saturday (disappointingly quiet).  My Welsh classes resumed on Friday, and in the evening some friends from UEA arrived to spend the weekend exploring the wonderful countryside around us.  It was lovely to catch up with the gossip, but I noticed that I increasingly find it slightly scary to show people around and be reminded of exactly how much we still have to do!

Yesterday, after visiting Dolgarrog church for the first time, I spent the day priming the sanded-down door frame and the new window on floor 2 whilst Mike finished rendering over the blocked-up window.  We then decided to be really adventurous…

Since we arrived, a local architect has been suggesting a series of decorative tips that would make the newer extension visually be more closely linked to the old Manor.  The first of these suggestions is to over-paint the white render with a grey colour, to tone with the slate colour of the Manor.  To that end, we have carefully mixed the shade you see below from two paints.  To notice the colour, you may need to look carefully at the bottom left of the photo below, where the wall is still the original white.

Note the grey tone to the paintwork…

We believe this new colour has the warmth we were looking for to ensure the building will look welcoming, and are currently experimenting with it on the back, knowing that the effect will not be obvious until we paint the front of the building.  The second tweak is to paint a grey area to better define the windows, and give them a greater presence.  Again, I suspect this may not make too much sense whilst you are looking at the back of the building, but we hope this will really look good when we have repainted the front, where you will then see the larger windows in the manor next to the ‘enhanced’ windows of the extension.  I hope that the photo below helps you see the surrounds…

In close up to show off the windows

Of course, once I had carefully coloured in the area defined by Mike’s marked lines, he commented on how Austrian the windows now look and asked me to start practising my fine painting, ready for when he draws some grape vines and perhaps some swags of leaves onto the building.

Anywho, today we have worked rather hard on work which was not photogenic.  In Mike’s case, he has repaired the very top of the main building roof by working at the very limits of the scaffolding – and for added safety, wearing a harness.  I had to run up and down supplying the lead, and hammer, and wood and so on – providing whatever was needed – and in the down times, undercoated the window and door, and then swept down the scaffolding.  This may not sound like a big job, but I had to scrape  render off the scaffolding boards where it had fallen, along with dust, sanding waste, and so on.  I suspect that all the climbing up and down, and going up and down from standing onto hands and knees may explain why I now need a few hours sitting quietly…

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *