How busy have we been this fortnight?

To update you on my injury: most of the bruising has now come down, and what remains are twinges as I use both the knee and ankle, so I think I will close that chapter to spare you further detail. You may also recall we had been clearing out one of the outbuildings, ready for it to be destroyed…

Above you can see that Julie and Yvonne (who are back for some hard labour) have removed the outbuilding sides….

…and here it is, all gone!

We let them start on the bin shed which needs to be moved whilst we work on the single storey extension…

…so they removed panels, followed by the lid…

…and then took out the supporting structure…

…until that too was all gone!

Because Yvonne and Julie were visiting, we closed the bookable rooms so we would have time together, so we also asked Shaun to refresh the decoration of the cafe and kitchen…

…and are also, when its wet outside, working on the dresser that we brought with us from Norfolk. It had suffered water damage which we didn’t quite get around to repairing before we moved to Wales, so are working on it with furniture reviver, brushing french polish and wax to bring it back to its former glory.

On the less wet days, I have been doing a little gardening. My apologies for the photos as the light has not been good for photographing our progress this week. Here you see the bed outside the cafe from which we have removed an over-sized black elder…

…and replanted with plants that had to be moved from another site…

…which also freed up some box plants, so we have backed the bed below with what will soon be a lovely box hedge.

Here is Mike with his least favourite tool, the jack hammer, needed because three very large rocks lay in the way of our building plans, so he gritted his teeth and got stuck in. Below is rock A which submitted quite easily…

…whilst here you see rocks B and C which didn’t – so we slightly modified our plans.

The plan was to level this piece of soil adjacent to our oil tank, so we extended the retaining wall on one side…

…and then shovelled the soil out of the way before installing a retaining wall this side as well.

A now vaguely level plot is in place with only a small section of one of the rocks remaining (visible just beyond the left hand extreme of the metal section above), but low enough that we can ignore it.

Whilst we were here, we had a quick check of the oil tan level, and realised we needed to place an order!

All we clear out places before we destroy them we are finding quite a lot of junk, and Julie has very obligingly had a quick bonfire with the combustible parts which were too minging to go into the wood burner.

Its been quite a busy couple of weeks, one way and another, so tomorrow is definitely a day off before we start all over again…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *