Making progress again

This post composed 20th April:
Mike and I have spent the week so far mostly on two different projects.
Mike has been sensible and stayed with the programme of replacing the double glazing units. He has progressed to the second room on the first floor and removed all the glass from one window

look: no glass!
look: no glass!

and later removed one panel from the french windows to the balcony. As the builders merchants delivered the glazing panels yesterday, he was also able to re-glaze this final section today.
Mike tells me all of this went according to plan, except that as he was removing the fixed panel in the window shown above, after he had removed the putty, he was gently easing the units out, when at the very last moment he spotted that the exterior pane of glass was no longer linked to the interior pane and so, with irritating inevitability, it fell and smashed- rather spectacularly – on landing on the rock eight feet below. I believe the clean up probably took longer than the original job….

Meanwhile, after I restarted my painting marathon with a simple door prime, I continued to clear rhodo stumps from rock that will be overlooked by the new suites of rooms. Yesterday and today I moved to the area that can be seen from the long corridor and have begun grubbing up stumps. This might be more accurately described as trimming stumps with secateurs and/or loppers, and then whacking at the stumps with mattock and/or axe until some parts could be levered off, and then continuing until it finally breaks into sufficient pieces that it can be removed.

View from long corridor of rhodos and general scrub
View from long corridor of rhodos and general scrub

Roughly the same area, but now with the evergreen removed and some of the scrub cleared
Roughly the same area, but now with the evergreen removed and some of the scrub cleared

The tree having a rest after its exciting trip down hill
The tree having a rest after its exciting trip downhill

It doesn’t look much yet, but I am hoping that over the next few days this area will be fit to be photographed, but there are still many rhodo stumps to remove, along with a great deal of litter, building rubble and soil, between now and then.
Our other news is that Mike has put aside his chain saw envy and invited some guys to help him process the trees. You may recall that last year, some chaps appeared to fell four trees which were fouling the power lines. They had some very powerful chain saws. Mike invited them at the time to let us know if they ever had any spare time, and yesterday was our lucky day. In one afternoon they reduced the 4 felled trees, plus one other, to slices which we can now manoeuvre reasonably easily.
Now we just have to work out how to get it from here to the building!
Now we just have to work out how to get it from here to the building over some very rough terrain!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *