Normal service resumes…

I start with a huge mea culpa / mae’n ddrwg gen i. My sincere apologies that I haven’t updated the blog for about two weeks. For those who want to know how the gods have conspired to add to our normally minimal workload, please just keep reading…

Not avocado, I hope you noticed

Mike has now installed the china in the en suite on floor 1, leaving us only one more bathroom to refit for this phase! Oh joy, oh rapture…

Skirting, any one?

Meanwhile, Carrie and Alex have been fitting skirting board and architrave in two rooms on floor 1 and in the stairwell, which we have then started to prime and undercoat.

Mind the gap!

We have also started working seriously on ‘finishing’ the stairwell, which requires us to close the gap between some flights of stairs and walls. The gap is particularly noticeable where the slate walls run behind the stairs, since these slates sit proud of the surrounding wall, creating a considerable void in our otherwise lovely handiwork. I finally got around to insisting that we addressed this issue and (after I had purchased a variety of edge mouldings from the local builder’s merchants) we have found a way to achieve closure, of which more later.

Last of these avocado bathrooms ready for removal

Mike then turned his attention to stripping out the last of the bathrooms needing our attention in this phase…

Preparing to throw the switch

…whilst I stripped and twisted the twin and earth cables, ready for the sockets to be fitted…

Plaster boarding the stud walls

…before turning my attention to the stud walling. After Mike ran the cables through the walls, I was permitted to insulate the voids and fit the plasterboard. So far, so normal, but then…

Just what we all want to see when we turn our computer on…

… last weekend, we found our computer said ‘no’. In fairness, we had experienced some unusual activity for a day or so before hand, so fortunately had an up-to-date back up ready to be reinstalled. So on Monday night we travelled to the wilds of Llandudno to acquire a new computer, only to discover that our emails wouldn’t reboot properly. Without the emails, I cannot email photos from the phone to the PC, ready to use them in the blog. Such fun! We are still waiting for a friend to come and help get the emails properly sorted, and hope normal service will be fully returned by early next week.

Trying to make the balcony look more cared for.

In the interim, we are very grateful to a cafe customer from Liechtenstein who visited last week. Over the past couple of years, a number of customers have peered around the cafe door to ask, very tentatively, whether we are open. We have tried to work out what – of, let’s face it, many possibilities – makes them feel we might not be open, without managing to narrow this down. Our Liechtenstein visitors think it is the balcony that is the problem – that it gives the impression that no-one is looking after the building. They suggested we take a leaf out of Bavaria’s book and trail our clean linen over the railings, but in the high winds often here thought this an unnecessarily high risk strategy. Instead, we hope you can see the pelargoniums now in place, ready to trail artfully through the railings to let people know that someone is still working on the place.

Finishing the stairs

Mike has put a fillet between the stairs and the wall, and we are ready to continue to finish further flights…

Intumescent painting begins…

…whilst I have started to paint the banisters and spindles with the intumescent paint that will enable this to be a fire exit as well as a stairwell.

So I hope this brief scamper through recent activity has you feeling that you have been brought bang up to date with our activities. I look forward to reporting more progress next week, as I hope that the magnificent technology at our disposal will actually play ball again!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *