Now we are sashaying along…

Last week, we finished laying the fibreglass mat onto the roof on Saturday lunchtime, when snow stopped play. Sadly we were both so tired that we walked away from the roof, and when it was raining on Sunday, Mike walked past the boiler room and heard drip, drip, dripping noises…at which point we realised we had forgotten to temporarily waterproof the back edge of the joint with the rest of the original roof, so water had managed to work through to the ‘original’ roof below our new roof, and was showering into the building.

So we gave up our deferred day off and on Monday were back to

a. trim the old tarpaulin and then nail it, through battening, to the trimmer to seal the left hand side of our new roof, and

b. seal the back edge by installing fibreglass flashing, followed by drip bead, followed by render. Mike managed to put in the scratch coat on Monday and the weather enabled us to put the top coat on by Thursday.

In between making the render, my job was to bolt the boiler chimney plate and skirt back in place, so we now have a waterproof if not yet painted new roof.

On Tuesday it was very wet – even by north Walian standards – so we opted to work indoors. The bay doors we re-glazed last week have pairs of sash windows to either side which were immovable but needed re-glazing.

It wasn’t easy to work out what needed to be removed! We unscrewed various moulded pieces that had been added to block the window in place, and then tried to find how to tilt the window sufficiently that we could cut the sash cord. We pulled the large window clear, blocked it (as it was really quite heavy, even with only 1 sheet of the double glazing remaining) and then tried to find where the sash cords were hidden. You can see here Mike using a torch to identify where to cut… and carefully chopping through the cords for the top window, which we are not planning to re-glaze just now.

So we re-blocked the lower window, found the other cords, and took a deep breath. We found one of the huge weights, supported it on a block, and cut through the cord, no probs. We turned to the final cord, and were unable to find the weight…so in the end we cut the cord and a much thinner weight dropped down from its hiding place where it had got stuck behind a large piece of slate obstructing the weight-run.

Quick sidebar: everything we can find via Google suggests that sash cords are fabric, but ours appear to be of metal core with a long wire wound around this…

…and here you get a better sense of scale. We haven’t managed to find any of this on the web, so will probably have to replace it with a modern cord.

Yesterday the weather was pretty foul, but we were keen to continue clearing away the rotten decking around the ‘chalet’ and cut the sound parts for firewood.

Sadly, removing the dangerous decking has made obvious the rotten state of the base of the chalet walls, and also exposed some of the wiring and services under the chalet trailer. We have been holding off demolishing this chalet until planning permission is granted, as we need to be sure our request to relocate the ‘footprint’ of the chalet is accepted before we demolish.

On that note, we have good news, we hope. Earlier this week, our architectural designer confirmed that the necessary revisions have been submitted and we hope to hear soon whether we will be able to begin the demolition proper of the chalet and other grim parts of the building. Seems like a good time to take a long weekend to get over the rigours of the past week.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *