Once more unto the breach…

Last time, we put this lintel into place…

…and this time we need to position the next lintel in the void towards the right hand side of this photograph.

Having no heavy lifting gear on site, we put ourselves into Easter-Island-statue mode (or perhaps I mean Stonehenge mode) to work out a low-tech solution. We started by lining up concrete blocks so that we could lift the lintel and just move it a foot or two each time, which was something I could just about manage.

When we arrived at the first doorway, I maneouvered the sackbarrow under one end of the lintel and pulled it backwards each time Mike lifted and pushed the far end. Once it was roughly where we wanted it, we placed in on a block each end, and then slowly added one block at a time to each end until the lintel was high enough for us to push it onto the scaffolding tower. Once there, we simply replayed last weeks’ block and tackle game and, voila…

…another lintel in place (on the left hand side, in case you were not sure). Once it was in place, we built the rest of the studwork and noggin structure above and covered this on one side only with plywood.

Our next task will be to install the -thankfully much lighter – lintels above two window frames…

…but I will leave that exciting installment until next time!

2 thoughts on “Once more unto the breach…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *