Part of what went up …has now plummeted

Thank you for your useful feedback on the slates – I can reveal that 100% of the views expressed suggest we need to oil the slates, so we will get around to this.

We spent Wednesday in Keele with Pip, Hugo and Charley, watching Pip celebrate her graduation which was not only great fun, but also allowed us our first sighting of blue skies for quite a few days.  We found as we left Keele that we had also received an email telling us we did not require formal planning permission to install a labyrinth in the lower meadow, so we got started on scraping a patch of grass, adding rubble to improve drainage, and then levelling the area, ready to set blocks in due course.

Pip 'in' the Keele statue commemorating their 50 years in 2012
Pip ‘in’ the Keele statue commemorating their 50 years in 2012
Pip by the Freshers' Gate (obviously)
Pip by the Freshers’ Gate (obviously)
View from upper level of labyrinth base area on lower level. A pattern of bricks and either slate or grass will be overlaid on this in due course
View from upper level of labyrinth base area on lower level. A pattern of bricks and either slate or grass will be overlaid on this

I spent Thursday putting Polyfilla (other fillers are available) into holes and dents in various surfaces , and taking delivery of two fire doors and 64 boxed of floor tiles whilst Mike continued to wire up sockets and tie them together.

On Friday we undertook lots of domestic tasks since we had a busy weekend ahead of us: my brother Mike is visiting with his children, as are Will and Lucy.  During my vacuuming tour I made a sobering discovery, which clearly I shared with Mike as soon as I saw it.  On the second floor of the original manor, we knew there were a couple of non-trivial leaks in the ceiling in one room, which we had been vaguely keeping an eye on (as we won’t have time for remedial work until at least after the restaurant opens).  Imagine my surprise to find large chunks of the ceiling now on the floor….

Gravity making its mark
Gravity making its mark

In the afternoon I lifted old floor tiles in the restaurant, whilst Mike worked hard to install the fire door frames upright and square, since the permitted tolerances between fire doors and their frames are really surprisingly exacting.  We also took delivery of a third door and liner and tinkered with the restaurant pretty much until our guests arrived during the evening.  And, also to our surprise, in the evening we found that the mattress in one of the rooms we had thought was watertight was damp when we went to change the beds, ready for visitors.  Oh well, the ‘to do’ list just gets a little longer.

Starting to work on the kitchen floor
Starting to work on the kitchen floor
The restaurant floor is coming along now
The restaurant floor is coming along now

On Saturday, I took brother Mike to see Blaenau Ffestiniog and later Llanrwst before spending much of the afternoon baking with brother Mike, Emma and Mia, which seemed a good idea given the state of the weather.  Whilst we were thus occupied, Mike (White) carried on laying the tiled cafe floor, ably assisted by Will and Lucy.

Tomorrow we are off to experience the zip wire in the Blaenau caverns, so I am posting this to give me time to recover after tomorrow before re-posting.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *