Path finding

Can you guess what we’ve been up to this week? Oh yes, we have been doing more painting, and more landscape clearance.

The painting for floor 1 is coming to and end (with floors 2 and 3 still to do). We have now glossed the outside of all windows on floor 1, and have only the inside of the 3 sets of doors to sand and paint. Mike has fitted new handles and catches to each of these windows and door. We know there will, no doubt, be some touching up necessary after we have rebuilt the interior of this floor, but at least the rooms should now be reasonably water tight. We have also cleared all contents from floor 3, ready for alterations when the plans arrive.

We continue to lever rhodo roots off the rocks. This week we had a bonfire to get rid of quite a few of these stumps amongst other combustibles. As we cleared further down the rock, we came across a novel issue: the removed roots were rolling down the steep hill and becoming entangled with the old fire exit slope. After several attempts to move a couple of these, we realised that the simpler solution was to remove part of the railings. We could then roll the stumps onto the walkway, and slide them down the slope to a waiting wheelbarrow.

See the fencing at the end of the rock nearest the building...
See the fencing at the end of the rock nearest the building…
...and now see it is partly demolished
…and now see it is partly demolished

We have also finally managed to clear a path, enabling us to walk externally around the property for the first time. An area behind the single storey extension was seriously overgrown, which meant we couldn’t get into the area behind the long corridor to clear trimmings from the rock face. Mike, bless him, signed my chitty giving me a morning off to try to find a way through.

beginning to work on it
Where should I start?

Sadly, we forgot to photograph the area full of debris (old bottles, broken slates, bracken, bits of broken guttering etc.) but can show it now, cleansed. We will pretty this up further but first, we will need to do significant work on the corridor roof next year so are leaving it as is for the interim.

The area behind the glazed corridor has been racked and primped
The area behind the glazed corridor has been raked and primped

Today, we have had our first rain today for several weeks. As you can see in the photos below, the river is at the lowest level we have seen and, by the sound of it, lower than many of the ‘locals’ remember ever seeing.

We thought we were in North Wales, but one look at the river will show how dry it has been lately
We thought we were in North Wales, but one look at the river will show how dry it has been lately

as does this one
as does this one

Tomorrow we have the Elastic Band evening in the cafe, and after that we will need to prioritise what happens next. Mike is hoping the plans will arrive tomorrow – but my guess is that I will be starting on re-glazing floor 2.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *