Productivity is falling…

We had a very restful week off last week. For Mike the biggest pleasure was reading the paper during the day and having more time to spend with Lola. For me the greatest delight was not having to get up until I felt like it! The bonus for us both was that we could select a destination and go there together, which is usually very tricky with one of us tending to remain in Plas in case as extra pair of hands are needed in the cafe.

As a result, despite trying to relax, last week we took a couple of trips to begin looking at furniture for the rooms, of which more details will no doubt emerge in the near future.

This week we are back at work. Mike is continuing to progress our plans, whilst I am giving the cafe a refreshing coat of paint. But before I detail that

The element from the cafe oven…

…and a close up of the burnt out bit.

The cafe oven has been giving Jane a bad time for a week or two, and it wasn’t clear whether it was the thermostat or the element that had become faulty. Mike deserves a medal for his patience throughout multiple phone calls to the manufacturer, plus the delivery of two irrelevant parts – from Italy, obviously – before we finally received the new element and were able to get scone production back up to normal. It’s lucky that the cooker has two ovens, so Jane was able to cope in the interim.

Anyway, back to the main plot. Mike has built the housing for the waste pipe in the floor 2 en suite bathroom, which you can see in early stages above, and yesterday plastered the ceiling before laying the plywood floor this morning.

Unfortunately, as I was repainting the ceiling in the cafe, I came across a section of old plastering which we had ‘saved’ when refurbishing the cafe, but which had worked itself loose. As I started to paint it, large chunks rained down on me. I called Mike to check how he wanted me to proceed…

…which resulted in Mike levering large chunks off with a scraper. His afternoon’s work was then rearranged so he could re-plaster the patch – as you can see…

The race is now on for me to incorporate painting over this repair in time for us to reopen the cafe on Saturday. Challenge accepted.

I will try to blog on Friday night so you can satisfy your curiosity in good time as to whether we meet the deadline!

The really good news, though, is that we believe that the beginning of the end is now in sight. We still need to liaise with our architect over some details, and need Building Control to give the go ahead once we have fitted the fire doors etc., but with fair winds and a following sea, we hope to have these suites ready by late Spring. we feel the pressure of the clock ticking, but want to share this expectation with you so that you can understand if I start getting a bit tense about our progress…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *