This week we have been somewhat distracted by other events – I have had a string of appointments and meetings which took me away from the refurbishment work, so I hope you will understand why progress has been slightly dented as a consequence.
Below you see one of the two Velux windows we have re-glazed.
and this is the view from the window that was previously filled with polycarbonate. We were pleasantly surprised to see just how lovely the view can be, but we noticed that there was something of a damp patch on the floor both before and after re-glazing. We think we have tracked down the problem, and Mike and I will be trying to rectify this in a week or so.
Having almost completed the roof insulation, I have continued to insulate the stairwell, and then fix the insulation in place with chicken wire. The wall below is on floor 3, which means we have almost completed one of the stairwell walls. Yippee!
Having got to the top floor, we would really like to complete the wall at right angles to this, but we still need the plumber to arrive to move some pipes. Mike therefore decided to start building the internal stud walls that will complete floor 3 so that we can work on them whilst waiting:
We may have to move on to something else now, as it is virtually impossible to move 8′ x 4′ plasterboard sheets up to floor 3 at the moment, which requires us to walk up a very steep, very narrow set of attic stairs, until the stairwell is complete and the new staircase in place. I’m sure we will be able to find something else to do if we look hard enough…
In the meantime, I have been using some of my spare time to create a fundraising sheet in aid of BBC Children in Need. If you are fond of Dingbats and live locally, pop into the church, the Spar or Plas Penaeldroch and your quiz sheet is available for a small financial donation to the charity. If you are more distant and would like to join in, please just drop us an email and we will see what we can do!