I don’t know about you, but I had a quiet weekend. Lots of sitting around to give my muscles a rest. To avoid total boredom setting in, I finished the months accounts on Saturday, and then drafted a food stock list for the kitchen to discuss with Jane next time we see her. I rather suspect it may be awarded ‘6/10 must try harder’, but I look forward to then working towards the better version together with stock levels that we can accommodate in the new store. Mike however worked like a trooper.
Today I had something of a gardening day. Mike had made another couple of planters over the weekend, so today I filled these with pelargoniums that we have been growing from tiny plugs. I filled other pots with Agapanthus that we transported from Norfolk, and filled one of the remaining planters with shade tolerant plants since this will sit in half shade (a) as a vision of loveliness and (b) to prevent people tripping over the random door step beneath it. Meanwhile Mike blocked up the old cellar door to enable us to install a clean run of work surface in the kitchen in due course, and then installed most of the guttering below the balcony / above the emergency exit to the restaurant. Adrian returned to help us, and told us how much he had enjoyed his recent holiday in Norfolk.
Meanwhile, Phil felt like doing some painting, so we have let her loose on the ground floor sash window surrounds. We decided against sanding first, once we found we were pretty sure that even light pressure may encourage the window frames to self-destruct, but we are hoping that a quick lick of paint will make the main house look slightly less unkempt. It looks like a full reconstruction will be necessary in a few years time, when we get around to it. I’m not sure if the photos below give a proper sense of how much better they look now they are re-painted, but thought you might like to see the photo of Philly taking the first photo, and how nicely she has trimmed the hydrangea in the second.
To give a sense of the task in hand.