Step up, and step with it – carefully…

Last time, I described how we had built half a set of steps to allow people to negotiate the narrow path round the back of the building. This week we approached the problem from the other side…

…which, as you can see, is the rather muddy residue left after we dug away the old bottle dump, constrained by rock on the right…

…so we built a step, and then constructed a second one with longer ‘side arms’ that we could attach to the top platform of the existing steps. Once we had ‘chocked’ the bottom step into position, so that the tread and riser of each step was within the permitted dimensions, (and yes, it was that complicated!)…

…we built the third step…

…and then finished the third step and platform with decking.

Now it is possible to walk safely from behind the ‘cloister corridor’ to behind ‘John’s bit’. It’s not, you understand, that we think many people will want to do this…

…but it’s now possible for us to send photographs of all this to Building Control who, we hope, will be able to sign off this now-completed phase 1 project.

Meanwhile, our old oil tank has been taken away to go to it’s new home.

On Wednesday, I twisted Mike’s arm as hard as I dared, to request his help with planting. We had acquired quite a collection of pot plants to line the garden stairs, but it required wrists stronger than mine to dig out the holes. As plenty of rain was forecast for Thursday, I was keen to plant up on Wednesday so things would be well watered in…

…and I wasn’t disappointed: we had some pretty wild and wet conditions at the end of last week.

When the garden has dried out a bit, I might even finish the surface of these stairs!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *