The old floor est disparue

I know I should start by blogging about progress on the hotel but… we (being at the forefront of the IT revolution) have finally discovered the pleasure of box-set viewing.  We stumbled across “The Disappearance” (or Disparue to give it its real title, being a very stylish French production with English subtitles) listed in the top 40 on BBC iplayer.  We watched the first couple on Sunday since there was only football otherwise, followed by two on Monday and, yes, tonight we have just finished watching the last episode.  Obviously a murder mystery, but we found it thoroughly diverting and some of the action took place in a cafe-restaurant in Lyon, so we were kind of taking notes at the same time…

Back to business.  We had quite a lot of rain on Sunday, which has proved beyond doubt that the slate roof we installed in early April leaks.  As soon as the schedule allows, we will put the scaffold tower back together and tweak the lead flashing, which we think should solve the problem.  Actually, Mike thinks this, but I thought I would try to make it appear that I am as knowledgeable about these things for a moment.  Otherwise, we enjoyed a very restful Sunday.

On Monday I removed all the remaining wood-chip+ wallpaper from the restaurant whilst Mike pulled down parts of the ceiling, patched the holes, and then tidied up the considerable quantity of loose wires that festooned the walls and ceiling.  We then, after a little judicious nagging on my part, started to lay the concrete floor in the kitchen. We assume, having looked carefully at the old sloping floor that when this part of the house had acted as cellar to the bar, the floor had been installed at several different levels to permit easy rolling of barrels into the cellar, and also to prevent any spillage running into the house.  I now realise Mike had not quite worked out what he needed to do here, but after the little nudge, he settled down to lay the centre of three panels of concrete which meant he could test his theory before fully committing to the methodology.

On Tuesday we had to dance around the not-yet-set- floor so whilst Mike rubbed down the old woodwork supporting our new windows, and insulated part of the restaurant wall, I wrote a couple of emails that needed serious thinking, washed the ceiling in the alcove by the wood burning stove (yuk, and yuk again), primed the exterior of 6 windows and then retired indoors to do the accounts.  Bonus yuk – and still not enough.  It has been quite remarkable to note how very little insulation was included in the original extensions (installed ca. 1979/1980) so we have been trying to make up for this as we work around.

Today, Mike ended up having to complete his floor pretty much single-handedly.  We started off with me loading the cement mixer and wheeling the mix to him as is our normal practice if Adrian is not helping, but the chap from the Welsh tourism funding office arrived for a chat, so sadly I had to leave Mike to it at that point.  We had some horse riding visitors around lunchtime – a couple from Leeds on their honeymoon – who were great fun, and later another couple arrived to check out what was happening to the building.  She had been to several of the parties / raves previously held at Plas Hall and wanted her boyfriend to see the building, but I won’t share the details of her anecdotes here as some of you may be eating as you read this.

So there really can be only one picture tonight, which is of a still wet but nearly completed fabulous new concrete floor!

 

Here's hoping none of the animals try to walk on this for a day or so
Here’s hoping none of the animals try to walk on this for a day or so

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *