The return of the refurbishments…

We started this week on a small repair job to the balcony that forms part of the cafe roof. As you can see, there has been some damage to the balcony…

…which has allowed rainwater to come through the damage and spoiling the ceiling.

We scraped away the worst of the damaged material, and then inserted a patch repair from some new fibreglass mat and resin…

…and we are pleasantly surprised to see that it has toned in really well. Let’s face it, you need to be looking for it to see the patch. So on to task number two…

…which involved working out what to do with this monstrosity in the main hallway, at the bottom of the old stairs. As we understand it, the original (wooden Victorian) fireplaces disappeared sometime in the early 2000’s and were replaced by some very functional surrounds fashioned from slate blocks.

Yvonne and Julie are with us for a week or so, so we put a lump hammer and bolster chisel at their disposal and off they went.

Once the slate sides had been removed, we needed to move the old wood burner, which turned out to be surprisingly heavy.

Between the four of us, we managed to maneouvre it off the hearth – to reveal the interesting stack of blocks supporting the flue – and then scratched our heads for a while, trying to work out how to move it further…

…when inspiration struck! We put a ‘Sliderz’ under each foot and just pushed it out! (If you ever have to move furniture, look up Sliderz on the web: they are brilliant!)

We then left Julie and Yvonne to cut apart the hearth, and as they knocked out the blocks of slate and cement, an old tiled floor appeared, which we hope is of original Victorian blue tiles, even though they have seen better days.

Once the stack of tiles were obstructing progress, Mike appeared and removed the old flue…

…leaving it to Yvonne and me to continue clearing the hearth, with Julie operating the sack barrow and waste removal service.

And so… ta dah! One ’empty’ fireplace, complete with old tiles, and a bucket strategically placed to catch the drips. (When the flue was removed, we could look up through a ceramic-lined chimney straight up to the sky – no kinks – so the rainwater just falls straight in to the bucket. Something else for us to sort out in future.

The final project this week was clearing the main stairs, because the carpet fitter arrived today…

…and put the new stair carpet in place. We have already ordered the hall carpet, but we need to do some plumbing work before it can be fitted. Now we have seen how good the stairs look, I may need to nag Mike on a regular basis to get the plumbing moved higher up the ‘to do’ list so that the hall can be carpetted soon!

It’s an absolute delight to be moving on with the refurbishments again, but I should warn you that the tasks for next week are not quite so photogenic, so be prepared for a less glamorous report next time…

2 thoughts on “The return of the refurbishments…

  1. Do your friends come for working holidays or do you spring the work upon them once they’ve settled in?
    You are doing a fantastic job of renervating Penaeldroch

    1. Dear Julie
      We met these friends when they ran the Duke of Edinburgh scheme in Wayland school. Long story, but they come here hoping to do building work as they have retired and look to this as their entertainment for the year!
      By the way, my sister drove through Wretham this weekend and sent me a photo of our old house – made me quite sad, and reminded me of all the friends we left behind, but here’s hoping they can find the time to come and visit us one day. And we even promise not to give you any work to do, unless you ask for some!
      Its great to hear from you, lots of love, Carrie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *