Then the oil ran out…

Last Saturday morning, Mike went to have a shave but discovered the water was cold. A few moments thought reminded us we had been running the oil down because we needed to move the tank which was balanced precariously against the building and which broke several planning and safety rules. As you may know we had already installed the new tank but hadn’t connected it up as there was too much junk in the way.

By junk, I mean lots of soil and building rubble up to 1.2 metres /4 feet thick along with assorted rubbish you can see sitting on top of it above, as well as Rocky, the remnants of which you can see below.

Whilst Mike drilled and worked on Rocky, I drained the last of the oil from the tank. We got about 60 litres of dark coloured sludgy watery yuck out of the tank which we will have to work out what to do with later. Once they were removed, we started sliding the tank out of position…

…running it out on ladders and moving it to the front of the building.

Once that was placed by the chalet, we could return to the old decking on which it had stood…

…and start breaking it up. After this was gone, we had to dig a channel near the wall to enable the new pipes to be laid in the correct position. This involved digging out enough rubble that we could release the metal sheeting which presumably had been trapped here to prevent the building getting damp.

Again, whilst I was digging out, Mike paid a little more attention to Rocky, which by now looked like…

…so it’s slowly but surely disintegrating. On the subject of slowly but surely…

…I finally managed to dig through a channel wide enough for us to work in, that was clear right up to the point where the external pipe can be joined to the internal pipework which can (just about) be seen immediately above my left knee.

We released the metal sheet and, amazingly, the scrap metal man called by the next day! What a timely coincidence – we were able to offer him that sheet, a filing cabinet that had been beside the tank, and all manner of other bits and bobs we had dug up.

Yowser, all in all, that had been a tricky and unpleasant couple of days – and I couldn’t even have a decent bath when it was finished! We will let you know what happened next in the next blog post…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *