What a difference a week makes…

At the risk of making a facile observation, what a different world we are living in today! Here’s hoping everyone reading this is and remains healthy.

Mike and I spent the weekend in the cafe, which was quiet but steady. Since the PM suggested people should avoid restaurants and pubs, we have moved into more interesting times. The cafe remains open but is now very quiet. Cancellations for room bookings are coming in thick and fast. We are waiting to see what advice comes this weekend but expect to have to make some drastic decisions next week.

Anyhow, enough of that – on with the refurbishment fun and frolics…

Whilst Mike nipped to Cambridge on Tuesday to pick Phil up for the Easter vacation, Alex and I set about the ladies toilets with lump hammers and bolster chisels. We first took out the wooden structure that locked the tops of the cubicle walls together, and then removed most of the wall tiles.

With Mike back on Wednesday, we had the necessary three pairs of hands to continue the destruction. One person on the Kanga hammer and two moving blocks rapidly made quite a difference…

…and soon the cubicle divisions were no more. Next the water was disconnected…

…and then Mike heroically drained and removed the loos.

We then looked carefully at the floor, which turned out to be tiles over skim over tiles over concrete, so today Mike set about removing several layers of floor so that our layer of tiles are properly stuck (pictures to follow next time).

Whilst Mike was on the plumbing, Alex was removing the wooden structure the used to surround the hand wash basins…

…whilst I repaired to the garden. We had a dry day so I set to to remove the weeds in the bed above.

When I had finished the weeding, I started to empty the larder. I am so sad that in moving here I finally had a larder (which I have always thought a perfect store for kitchens) – but it has to go! This space is needed in the toilet refurbishment so needs to be emptied. I had already removed one set of shelves (out of picture), but those on the right needed to go. Having carefully emptied them, we found that they had been glued in place when constructed, so we had to demolish them in situ.

We were fascinated to see that the space in which they had been located, and which we thought might have originally been a window, now looks to have been where French doors were sited. We will leave the space like this for a while since the ‘back’ you can see separates this space from a room with a leaking roof, so we will leave this backing board in place until we are ready to deal with it properly.

Tomorrow will bring more building work, but who knows what else. Here’s hoping things are looking a little less scary next time I write.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *