You know what they say about the best laid plans…

…and also how with ones problems, it’s often a case of ‘least said, soonest mended’.

Long story short – due to questions being asked by Building Control (who oversee the technical details of the building work) we are now using a different building designer. This means there will be a (hopefully short) delay in the building work for the suites whilst we wait for new detailed designs to come through – so the timber building will not be changing much for a while.

In the meantime, we do have suitable plans for the secure store, so are continuing with the block walls…

…and below you can see that we had just finished the first course of blocks over the damp-proof course (the line where the blue plastic can be seen)…

…but the weather has not been on our side! For the block work, the temperature needs to be above 4 degrees, and also dry (as the water will wash the mortar out of the joints). Since it has been so wet lately, we have had to take occasional risks with the weather, and whilst we were working last week, there was a surprise hail shower (the stones showing up on the trestle as well as the concrete floor) which caught us on the hop.

When the weather has cooperated, we have begun to really speed up our blockwork. If one of us has to be elsewhere, the other makes slow progress indeed, but when we operate as ‘team White’ with me mixing the mortar and spreading it, and Mike accurately positioning the blocks, before I return to finish the ‘pointing’, then we really start motoring.

We are leaving the internal walls-to-be at the moment, as it means we can walk between the rooms without having to leave and return to the slab.

Below you can see we faffing about with the mortar ensuring all the joint lines are complete.

As you can see, we have started fitting the insulation into the cavity wall…

…and by end of play today, we had completed three courses above ground level, with another nine courses to go before we can start on the roof. It shows how speedy we have got that today we had to stop because we ran out of blocks faster than we had expected – so this afternoon more orders went in, and we will return to the block work as soon as the weather allows…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *